Tuesday, July 28, 2015

In a Nutshell...

This week's writing assignment: "In a nutshell...".  Totally fiction and totally fun!


“I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.” – Hamlet, by Shakespeare

In a nutshell: Don’t mess with me. I’m your worst nightmare.

That’s a funny phrase, “in a nutshell” – it’s like “long story short” only more picturesque.  What happened was in a picturesque place, could be considered a long story told short, and it definitely involved nuts.
It started the usual way: I was down in lovely Robbinsville, enjoying the camaraderie of Cheerwine and a burger at The Kickstand.  I was chewing thoughtfully, trying to figure out where to make some extra cash, when two bikers sauntered in, gray ponytails down to their patch rockers, faces burnt from flaunting North Carolina’s helmet law. The filled the doorway, paused a moment to scan the room, found an empty booth behind me and thudded into it, vinyl cushions whoofing under their weight.  The booths were joined and the guy behind me, flopping down, bumped mine forward dumping Cheerwine all over my lunch.  Crushed ice speckled my fries, now stained red.  I swore bitterly, surveying the ruin.  The bench jolted again as he heaved himself out to investigate.  “Oh hell, brother, I’m sorry”, he growled, seeing my leathers.  “Forget it”, I said, wadding up my napkin and throwing it on the soggy plate with disgust.  I scooted sideways and made to get up but he put a hairy-knuckled hand on my shoulder; “I feel kinda bad”, he said, “Can I make it up to ya?”  That’s biker code for “You wanna make some money breaking the law?” He squeezed my shoulder a couple times like we were friends, making the leather creak. I looked up into his sly, smirking eyes, realized where this was going and said to myself, “Why not?” 
Bikers like to do bad things, because they think people expect them to.  They like to do those bad things in groups, because individually they’re fat, hairy cowards.  Two’s company and they wanted me to make it a crowd, knock off the Kickstand’s register and escape down the 11 mile, 318-curve Tail of the Dragon, where a bike can go twice as fast as a police car and the Tennessee border beckons at the other end.  Either they planned to lose me, or wreck me on the Tail. Their pea-brains made three critical miscalculations, however.  One, they assumed I was a brother biker, probably because of my ponytail and leathers.  Two, they assumed I wasn’t local because no one lives in Robbinsville – it’s a tourist town for leaf-peepers and bikers.  Three, they assumed I was lonely, bored, broke, and stupid.
I heaved to my feet with a glint in my eye.  “What’s the plan”, I muttered.  “Right here”, he whispered.  “We’ll hit the register then hit the road to Tennessee”.  “Down the Tail?”  I feigned nervousness.  “Heh, heh. Sure - why not?, he grinned; “Don’t be scared - ain’t no one can catch us on the Dragon!”  I shrugged.  With no further ado he hit the register, the cashier hit the silent alarm, and we hit the road, smokin’. 
I rode behind them, gauging their skills on the turns - they were confident but sloppy.  They didn’t know the road as well as they thought and I’d been riding the Dragon nearly every day of my life except the six years in I spent overseas with Delta.  Screaming sirens behind us lent wings to their speed as they caromed around the slower traffic, owning both lanes with reckless abandon.  The paper sack stuffed with money peaked out from the leader’s saddlebag.  I knew a softer curve was coming up that hardened quickly; I saw my chance and took it.  As they clamped their brakes, I twisted my throttle and gunned between them.
  I’d spent the last two years jamming a 1,250 cc V-Rod Muscle engine into a 1958 Harley Duo-Glide, pairing that with anti-lock brakes and 240 mm of rear rubber that looked like a fat anaconda swallowing its tail – the bike ran like a cannon shot and cornered like a cat.  I snatched the money sack as I thundered through, gearing down to a throaty wail while pointing the front wheel at the tightest part of the turn, throwing my weight toward the inside corner and mashing the front brakes hard, still going 90 mph.  My knee gently kissed the macadam as the Harley drifted gracefully, smoke boiling from the howling rear tire as it slid around the curve like a cartoon road runner trying to catch up with itself.  When the tires lined up I snapped off the brake, leaned forward, eased off the throttle until the anaconda bit down, cranked it again and let the torque punch me forward like a carrier-launched jet. The two in back were blinded by smoke and nearly missed the turn but they slowed to a crawl and waddled around it using both feet like kids learning to ride.  They seemed angry.  They spotted me 200 yards ahead, hit the gas and gave chase.  I slowed up to give them a chance and in their rage they took huge risks on every corner to gain ground. I thought they would wreck and I wouldn’t get to carry out the rest of my plan but they showed a cunning tenacity that made me smile. Within three miles they were 100 feet back and breathing fire, which is just how I wanted them.
I slalomed off onto a rutted two-track that I knew led to a rarely-used hunting cabin.  I jolted and bounced up the lane, giving my spring-slung saddle a workout but knowing it was harder on them.  After a mile I pulled up to the clearing around the cabin, shut down the bike and vaulted off into the bushes.  They came roaring into the clearing a few seconds later, skewed to a stop and hopped off on numb and trembling legs, staring in all directions.  I was behind a pine 15 feet to their rear, hefting a sizeable rock.  I threw it into the trees across the clearing and launched as they spun toward the crackle and snap.  I was on the leader in less than a second but he heard my footfall and whirled back toward me, legs spread, reaching into his waistband with a snarl.  I never broke stride and kicked him with everything I had - and a two pound, black leather, ring-step boot - right in the credentials. He abandoned his waistband and clutched himself, doubling over with a groan.  Still moving forward fast and skirting his hunched figure, I palmed the back of his head and shoved off like a pole-vaulter, toward his partner who was now swinging his extended right arm toward me, gun in hand. In my peripheral I saw the first guy face-plant into his sizzling engine block and go still.  I was in the air, flying toward the second guy at top speed, laughing maniacally, swinging my bent left arm out in a Kenpo block and reaching for his throat with my right.  He was bellowing with fear, terror written on his grizzled face, trying to back up, his feet tangling….

I won’t bore you with the details, but the police never found the thieves, nor their bikes. I’m back here at the Kickstand, enjoying another burger and Cheerwine.  I can eat free here, now, whenever I like.  I’m chewing thoughtfully, trying to figure out what to do with two hot Harleys and two sets of leathers (slightly bloodstained).  I probably won’t have bad dreams about it, but those two large-livin’ lunkheads - they will.  In a nutshell, I mused: don’t mess with me; I’m your worst nightmare.


No comments:

Post a Comment