Tuesday, December 16, 2014

D'ants Macabre


My brain had no precedent for what it registered beyond the curtain – lightning exploded behind my eyes, thunder numbed my hearing, my gorge rose, my anus shriveled and I clutched the flimsy curtain to stay upright.  Head buried in my shoulder, I peeked again, from the corner of my eye, with the same results.  “Stop doing that!” my brain shrieked, but no logic can overpower morbid curiosity.   The man in the bed was alone, unconscious, on life support, and had been roughly, agonizingly skinned.
                If an elderly person with friable, papery skin falls and tears their arm or leg in such a way that the skin rolls up like a stocking, the medical term is “de-gloving”; this was no mere de-gloving, this looked like Buffalo Bill was making another suit.  Every inch of this young man, from neck to feet, was a flaky dull red, except the yellowish tendons connecting exposed muscle to bone.  It was horrifying, and fascinating, like an anatomy textbook come to life.  There’s the iliopsoas! And the tensor fasciae latae!  I shivered to imagine the pain he’d be in if he was awake.  Perhaps that’s why he wasn’t – perhaps the brain switched to default mode when this torture ceremony occurred?  I went in search of answers.
                He’d been shut down for five days, his nurse told me, as if he was a cyborg, and truly it was easier to relate to him if your reeling brain quickly shoved him into that category.  He’d been at a friend’s house watching football, knocking back a few.  When the game finished he straddled his motorcycle and ripped down the curvy gravel road toward home, only making a few miles of progress before an aggressive turn dumped him through a barbed-wire fence, into a weedy field.  He lay unconscious and unfound for three days, during which interval a nest of fire ants discovered him and leisurely harvested his tender bits for the winter.  His family couldn’t stand to visit his hospital bed.  I couldn’t blame them – I barely could and I was being paid for it!

                He died two days later, alone, the ventilator and heart monitors beeping forlornly.   It’s hard to say what killed him, ultimately, there’s so many choices – sepsis, kidney failure, electrolyte imbalance, hypotension, toxin build-up.   I think we have to blame the fire ants – they STOLE HIS SKIN, for their own selfish survival.  Who’s on top of the food chain now, PETA?

No comments:

Post a Comment