Friday, March 13, 2015

Patriot Project


I made a shadowbox for my friend who shares a love of U.S. History.  The box is raw, sanded pine, with a copy of the Declaration of Independence I bought in Philadelphia last year mounted to the back.  The inside corners are decorated with birch bark from Northern Wisconsin. The flag, given to me by a friend who served in Afghanistan, was retired after being flown over Bagram Airbase during Operation Enduring Freedom. A fine copy of the Sayings of Poor Richard was found in a resale shop, the bald eagle feather I discovered at a remote waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and the inkwell I found 35 years ago on our Illinois farm, buried in the sand.  I like to imagine the inkwell being dropped by Illinois Militia Lt. Abraham Lincoln as he and fellow officer Lt. Jefferson Davis pursued rebellious Sauk chief Black Hawk through woods I would explore 145 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment