Saturday, June 13, 2015

Blessed.

This week's writing assignment: "I am blessed."

Bless me, father, for I have sinned.  It’s been years since my last confession.”
“What sins have you committed, my son?”
“I am spiritually bankrupt, father.  I have nothing to offer our Savior.  I am starving for righteousness.”
“Our Lord tells us to seek, and we shall find.  We have but to knock, and the door to the Kingdom will open.  Have you sought?”
With all my heart, father.  I have wandered the earth, devoured the wisest of writings, intercoursed with the most knowledgeable of teachers, given alms to the poorest until I, too, was one of the poorest, broken my health against wickedness, wept with anguish at death, and cruelty, and avarice, provided succor to the victims of those vices and felt hollow and unworthy of their gratitude.  All my efforts crumble to dust under the onslaught of shame at their shallowness.”
“What did you find, in your search?”
“That no matter the pureness of my heart, I am the most unworthy of sinners.  That I am as revolted of myself and the plight of the victims as I am by the machinations that produced them.  That the wisest teachers and soundest philosophers are crippled by vanity the instant they rise in esteem among men. That the world of men is a tortured place, filled with inverted logic and selfish ambition. That the hard, bright desire burns within me to murmur peace among them but my voice remains too meagre to sound.”
“What would you have to amplify your voice, my son?”
“In my travels it is universally acknowledged that health, wealth, wisdom, family, skill, knowledge, honor, luck, peace, comfort and dignity are the blessings bestowed by our Lord.  I would have these, father, as proof of His face smiling upon me, of His acceptance of my worth so that others might see and believe.”
“Alas, I fear the words of men have misled you.  While such things are admired and sought, they will not bring conviction nor are they proof of the blessings of God – for that we must turn to the words of our Savior.”
“What words, father?  Where are they found? I must know!”
“You already know, my son; you are already blessed! I will read you His words from the Gospel of Matthew and as I do, reflect on your life and see if this is not so:
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Go, my son, continue on your search, continue doing those things for which the world reviles you – it is through their revulsion you may recognize the ineffable blessings of Jehovah.  Go, and remember me to Him - His humble servant – when the keys to the Kingdom are placed in your hand!”

No comments:

Post a Comment