Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Things My Father Taught Me.

The number one song burning up the pop charts these days is Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon. I hate it.  Which is odd, considering it has the kind of catchy, driving rhythm I usually like.  It niggled why the song repulsed me until I realized it's because I was taught that telling someone to shut up is rude; I don't like Shut Up and Dance because it's rude.  Also vapid.
That got me started to think about other things my dad taught me that stuck.  There's too many to count, honestly, but here's a few that came to mind:

How to split wood.
How to find the North Star.
How to drive a stick-shift.
How to start a fire.
How to change a tire.
How to kill and skin and animal.
How to plan and plant a garden.
How to bale hay.
How to shoot a gun.
How to ride a horse.
How to change spark plugs.
How to clean battery terminals using water and baking soda.
How to identify edible plants.
How to mend fence.
How to make do with little.
How to keep my temper under control.
How to forgive foolish decisions.
How to be cheerful under duress.
How not to be afraid of the dark.
How history is important.
How to love road trips.
How the military is a valid option.
How to appreciate the Bible.
How to help others.
How to play football.
How to say 'please' and 'thank you'.

Thank you for all you taught me, Dad - Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment