Monday, July 3, 2017

1990 Canoe Trip Journal

In the summer of 1990, shortly after returning from Alaska but before starting freshman year at Taylor, Vince asked me to help with a youth group canoe trip down the Wisconsin River.  One of the more memorable – and ludicrous – things I recall doing on that trip was jumping off a 30-foot high trestle train bridge into the river without testing the depth first.  Idiot.

Sandbar Supper
July 10
                Genesis 1:26 – 31, Matt. 6:25-34, 1 Cor. 6:19-20, Psalm 139:14
                I am made by God in His image amazingly.  I am not my own, I am God’s.  Therefore: is it right or is it wrong to drink, smoke pot, tell dirty jokes and slander women, or are those things hurting God when I do them?
                Drinking: If someone is offended by it, don’t do it.  Never to excess.  Don’t force anyone else to do it.  Slows down your body.
                Drugs: Don’t do them because of the harm and damage they do to your wonderful machine.
                Swearing: Bad habit, offensive (in some areas), immature.
                Dirty Jokes: Very bad taste, immature, does not glorify God.
                Slander Women: They are very special companions and are not to be taken lightly or used.

                Admittedly, these things are offensive, but are they sin?  I need to find out what sin is exactly, what do I base right and wrong on?
                Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, body, mind, and spirit.  Love your neighbor as yourself.
                Maybe if I got back in touch with God I would find some answers.
                Was all my mindset only brainwashing from my parents and society?  They’ve studied the Bible more than I have, maybe they know.
                No one can know until they die.   Then it’s too late. I need to have faith that what I’m doing is right.  I will never force my opinion of right and wrong on anyone, except my children, who don’t know any better.
July 11
                My Dearest Father,
                                May your very name be praised in all the world, may it ring loudly from me and the gang on the Wisconsin River. You’ve given us, for nothing, every single thing we want and need, simply because you are a true sweetheart.  You’re the nicest guy I know. You have given of your power and glory to make a special me in your craftshop and I am yours, and yours alone.
                You create things to test my faith in you yet still I am yours and you love me when I flunk those tests.
                I know this letter sounds kind of cheesy, but I honestly think it needs to be said because I admit I’ve been kind of ignoring you lately, and while I know that I’m the one who moved away from you, at times, when I’m lonely, I feel like you moved away from me.
                So I thought I’d drop this note to tell you how much I care and how much you mean to me even when I don’t show it.
                Thanks again for your love and companionship to an undeserving friend.
                                                                                                                                                Sincerely yours,
                                                                                                                                                John M. Morris.
July 13
                In Christ is found freedom, as we have nothing to worry about.  We can walk with our heads held high because he goes before and behind us, even beside us!  We are surrounded by His protection, strength, watchfulness, and loving care.  It is always there – we never need to be afraid.
                True, we are often afraid because what God knows is best for us we don’t agree with, so we assume we can control our circumstances somewhat by being cautious, but God is always in command.  He is our shield.
                We are so protected from big problems that we make little ones bigger than they are, and complain because we’re humans, weak and foolish.  Ah well, He loves us anyway.

Goals for CanoeFest 1990:
Renew friendships with the gang
Spend time outside
Experience God all over again, with Christian friends
Create memories
Personal devotions every day (incl. Bible reading & prayer)
Get in shape for football

Have fun till I’m dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment