Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Character Studies


Ellen Feldmen's engaging book, Lucy, written in Lucy Mercer's voice brings her relationship with FDR to vivid life and with it some understanding of Arthur Schlesinger Jr's quote that if she "in any way helped Franklin Roosevelt sustain the frightful burdens of leadership in the second world war, the nation has good reason to be grateful to her."  


I didn't know much about Malcolm X and wanted to understand why he was a cultural icon.  As a "white devil" I can't possibly comprehend the nuances of his anger, but at least this book helped me recognize that my existence is part of the current problems facing the African-American population. His powerful voice still echoes in our race and religious relations today.


I've said before I'm drawn to characters - they add flavor to life - and Eddie Chapman (Agent Zigzag) was one of the most colorful I've ever read about.  He was a hard-living crook who somehow ended up as a very successful double-agent between the British and Germans in WWII.  If you can't admire his morals you simply must admire his bravado.  Breathtaking read!

No comments:

Post a Comment